As you may or may not know, I focus my diet on clean, pure and the most natural foods I can find that make me feel great. How I feel is super important! A few months back, I decided to begin incorporating a clean, hi-quality protein powder into my diet and I want to share with you my favorite and how I enjoy using this protein powder daily. I tried a couple protein powders (all vegan) and compared the ingredients, how the ingredients were processed to produce the final product, how the protein powder made me feel, the amino acid profiles/content of each and (of course!) the taste. I am very excited to share with you my favorite protein powder and my daily delicious protein drink!
And the winner is (dun dun dun dunnnnn)…SunWarrior warrior-blend protein powder in natural flavor. You will see a photo of the large size bag below alongside the ingredients and utensils I use to make a delicious chocolate protein drink.
This protein powder consists of pea, cranberry and hemp protein, along with medium chain triglycerides. Yep, those are all the ingredients and I love it – simple pure ingredients. If you are unfamiliar with medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), allow me to let you in on some information about them. Research has shown that MCTs help with digestibility and I can definitely attest to this. MCTs are one of the reasons I love using cold-pressed EV coconut oil (organic, of course) in many of my cooked foods. I can definitely feel the difference when I am not consuming MCTs in a meal.
Back to the protein powder…the consistency of the Sunwarrior warrior blend in natural is not at all chalky, like many rice based protein powders. In fact, one of the other protein powders I tried was SunWarrior’s brown rice based protein blend. Although I did not dislike the rice based blend initially, after I had the warrior blend, there was no comparing the 2. The warrior blend blew the rice based blend away! When trying both alongside one another, the rice based blend definitely revealed a chalkiness that does not exist with the warrior blend. And I felt more awake and upbeat after consuming the warrior blend in comparison. I believe this may have to do with the MCTs (wink, wink), which you will not find in the rice based blend. Check out the profile of my fav protein powder below:
- Contains all essential amino acids in a complete, balanced profile
- One of the best protein powders for any lifestyle, not just vegan or vegetarian
- Free of solvents, GMOs, radiation, artificial flavors, artificial preservatives, or artificial colors
- Contains no animal products, dairy, egg, gluten, soy, added sugar, wheat, or yeast
- Great source of energy
- No cholesterol
- Heart healthy
- Increases metabolism to burn fat while building muscle
- Easy to digest and creates a feeling of satiety (fullness)
- Promotes healthy kidney and liver functions
- A green, hypoallergenic food
- Improves mental clarity
- Helps relieve candida
How can you not love that??? Anyway, let’s get to the good stuff. Here is my recipe for a delicious chocolate (cacao) protein drink I know I will have everyday because it tastes so darn good!
What you will need:
– Sunwarrior warrior blend protein powder in natural (amazon.com $38.11 for large bag)
– Raw Cacao powder (you can also use unsweetened cocoa powder)
– Unsweetened Almond milk (please avoid carrageenan when purchasing – you’re safe with 365 brand)
– Stevia (I use Nunaturals alcohol-free liquid stevia which you can find at iherb.com/amazon – I also love Stevita Stevia which you can find on amazon)
– Filtered water
– optional: Gotu Kola – I love this herb because it helps with circulation (available at iherb.com)
– optional: hemp protein powder – I tried a few hemp protein powders and I love the nutty flavor they add, so sometimes I will add if I’d like to increase the protein in the drink or just feel like adding a little nuttiness to my day
– add 8oz almond milk to blender, 2.5 tbsp raw cacao powder, 1 scoop (21g) SunWarrior warrior blend protein powder, 4 droppers full of liquid stevia, 16oz filtered, or boiling water (I enjoy using boiling water as the drink reminds me of a hot chocolate)
– if you would like to add gotu kola, add 30 drops or less (that the maximum amount I will have daily)
– if you would like to add hemp protein powder, I love Manitoba Harvest HEMP PRO 50, which also has Omega 3, 6 and 9! Serving size is 4 tbsp, but I add 2 tbsp since I am combing with another protein powder. Hemp protein is very easy to digest – huge plus.
– now Blend!!!!! If you like frothiness, blend longer, otherwise, 30 seconds will do just fine.
– …and enjoy!
Because I understand I how important nutrition is, I have included below the nutritional breakdown of this chocolate protein drink with and without the hemp.
182 calories, 5.7g fat, 1g sat. fat, 190mg sodium, 190mg potassium, 12g carbs, 5.2g fiber, 21g protein
242 calories, 7.45g fat, 1g sat. fat, 190mg sodium, 190mg potassium, 16g carbs, 8.7g fiber, 0.5g sugar, 28.5g protein
So for any plant-based diet haters who always say, “you can’t get enough protein without meat” I say check out this protein drink. That’s what I thought…
I would love to hear about your experiences with protein powders (not just vegan ones) and recipes that you have incorporated into your diet! Please share in the comments below. And if you do try this recipe, let me know how much you loved it…if you live in a cold climate, or if you’re office is just cold, try placing this drink in a thermos and sipping on it all day. I bet you it will not last all day…as it is that good!